"Luck is believing you're lucky."

"Luck is believing you're lucky."

Monday, May 13, 2013

A quick comeback

Do you ever wish you could say a quick comeback right in the moment?  Well, that's how I felt this week.  I went to Costco in my exercise clothes, hat and no make-up.  My plan was to exercise in the morning, but Ethan made it impossible and I needed to run to Costco.  I didn't want to shower before I exercised because I knew I wouldn't get it done.  So, I went to Costco looking less than wonderful with a hat covering my uncombed hair.  I thought, "I will just run to Costco really fast to pick up some pictures, go home, give Ethan a nap and then I can exercise."  As I stood at the picture counter working on one of the computers, I noticed a lady standing next to me who I recognized as one of the moms who I have come to know at Brady's school.  I said, "Well hello, how are you doing?"  She replied, "Oh, you didn't need to say hi to me.  I wouldn't have known it was you until you said hi because your isn't hair done and you don't have make-up on.  Those are the days when you shouldn't say hi to anyone."  I looked at her in amazement with her 5 necklaces, big hair and saucer sized earrings (which I wanted to rip right out of her ears).  Anyway, I giggled, said nothing and walked away.
So.......here's my question:
What could I say in that moment to her?  I know the obvious, charitable thing would be to smile, continue to love her and walk away.  But.........what is something FUNNY I could have said to her?  Just some small quip that I could walk away and say, "Yeah!" under my breath.  I need to have a repertoire of quick one-liners already downloaded in my brain that I can use in the very moment I need them.   I am leaving it open to you now to think of something I could have said to her. 
Go on, leave a comment.  :)

5 comments:

  1. "That's funny, I didn't recognize you under all that makeup!"
    OR
    "So, where are you going all done up....Walmart?"

    Man, I could do this all day my friend.
    I have learned up here that if your all done up you get some funny looks. let's just say, life is a little more easy living with tree huggers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie, I knew I could count on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I like to do if someone says something so out there is make them repeat it again so they can hear again what just came out of their mouth. "I'm sorry, what did you say?" I would think they would walk away feeling pretty stupid and maybe think twice before they speak! Not really a funny you were looking for but I think you would walk away with a "Yeah!" under your breath as a result.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been thinking about this all week and really I would have liked to say something like, "Whoa I am sorry you are such an idiot" but that would have just been dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad I blog stocked you tonight because this made me laugh out loud! I knew before I even clicked on the comments that my SistA would have something great to say! She is THE best at quick come backs, I have loved and hated that quality in her( ; You and your family look great, and happy!

    ReplyDelete