You may have read in one of my previous posts that we are moving to Morgan. I knew that Morgan was a small town, but I guess I didn't really understand the meaning of "small town." Here are a few experiences to liven up my blog and kick our adventures in Morgan off to a great start:
1. As I took my kids to the Morgan Elementary School to register them for school, the secretary made a lasting impression on them. As I tediously turned through page after page of the new student forms, Karen (the secretary) started up a conversation with my kids. She asked them their names, ages, and what they liked to do. She immediately assured them that they would have no trouble making friends because she could tell they were really nice. After plenty of page turning, Cate started to tug at my pants to inform me that she needed a drink. Karen said, "I'll take her. In fact, why don't you all come with me and I will show you around while your mom signs papers." She took them by the hand and with a cheerful smile, she escorted them through the school. As we left the school and got in the car Brady said, "If everyone in Morgan is as nice as Karen, we will do just fine."
2. A few days later, I headed up to Morgan (again) so that Brynn could meet her new 1st grade teacher. With knees trembling, Brynn met up with a Kindergarten class as they divided the students into their new classes. Brynn inched her way in the line as she looked at me like a deer in the headlights. A kind kindergarten teacher said to a girl next to Brynn, "This is Brynn and she is new. Can you be her friend?" Without a second of hesitation, this 6 year old girl gently took Brynn's hand and held it in her own. She then gave her the warmest, kindest smile I have ever seen. She guided Brynn into the unfamiliar classroom and sat right next to her on the carpet. After we left Morgan Elementary that day Brynn said, "Mom, I think I am going to make friends real easy next year."
3. After visiting the school, we drove to the lot in Morgan where we are going to build our home. A neighbor from across the way quickly walked over to introduce himself. When I think of a small town cowboy, I think of this man. Honestly, I felt like I went back in time in an old western movie--it was awesome. He told me about the history of the land and he informed me of the life details of all of my neighbors. In a thick accent, he asked me the names of my children. After repeating "Brynn" five times he replied, "You youngin's always have to name your children such hard names nowadays. You can't even pronounce 'em." I think he will call my first daughter "Bren" for the rest of her life. :) After about two minutes (literally) of chit chatting, he got to business. He said (again in a thick accent), "I need to ask you a pertinent question." I have now learned that when someone says "pertinent" they actually mean "personal." He continued, "You have the look and all, but are you LDS?" I proudly affirmed positively to his question. He then excitedly shook my hand again and said, "Good..........because I didn't want to have to do any proselytin'." So honest....... This may be one of my favorite conversations of the year thus far.
So, if this is what "small town" means, I'll have what they're having! The people of Morgan are truly great people living in a great place. Tune in for more "small town" stories. :)
Loved the stories, they gave Brett and I a good laugh!
ReplyDelete