"Luck is believing you're lucky."

"Luck is believing you're lucky."

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

LAKE PUKE-ELL (I mean Powell)



WARNING:  THIS IS GRAPHIC :).  We decided to try our annual trip to Lake Powell this year.  However, it turned out to be a sick fest.  It was a tender mercy that we ended up staying in a hotel in Page, AZ because we usually camp on the shore.  Not only was it great because we were sickies, but it was great because at night there were some of the worst storms that Lake Powell has ever seen.  Did you hear about the Phoenix dust storm?  Well, we were in Page that night.  We went with the Jepperson's and bless their hearts, they put up with us.  :)  The first day we woke up so excited to get on the lake.  Cate woke up and started throwing up.  I thought it was just something she ate the night before and so we headed out to the lake.  As I was backing the boat in, Cate started throwing up.  I motioned to Brady to hold a bag for her as she did her thing.  Brady was a trooper because he was dry heaving as he held the bag.  :)  Bless you Ziplocs........bless you.  Cate was sick for the rest of the day, so I ended up going to the hotel with her when the Jepperson's got to the lake.

In the evening, I heard pounding on the hotel room door.  As I opened it, Brady and Anthony were screaming that Brynn had just thrown up in the elevator.  She came to the door covered.  I guess she started feeling feeling queasy as they were loading the boat and she tried to hold it as long as she could.  The Jepperson's and the boys brought her into the hotel while Chad covered the boat.  On the elevator Brynn said, "I don't feel good" and Kim could tell that she was REALLY sick.  Kent ripped off his shirt so she would have something to throw up in, but he was only able to make it in the form of a ball in front of her face.  It was all she needed and she went--she smothered Kent's shirt, Kent, his boy's shoes and the elevator floor.  Then, the elevator doors closed and they had to ride up to the third floor.  As the doors opened, a few people were waiting to get on the elevator when they wisely decided to take the stairs.  Kent and Brynn bonded that day.  Bless you Kent......bless you.

That night, I woke up and tossed my cookies all night.  Fun, fun!  We went boating a little later. 

The next day, Brady woke up and knelt at the porcelain throne.  He rested in a hotel lobby on the shore of Lake Powell.  He surfed a few hours later.

The next day, we decided to throw all caution to the wind and head to the Grand Canyon.  It has always been on my bucket list and we were so close.  If you have never seen it, you MUST see it.  They call it the upside-down mountain.  Miraculously, no one was sick, until................


On the way home, Anthony started feeling the pangs of puke-hood.  He came and sat in the front seat of the Suburban between Chad and I.  Once again, bless you Ziplocs.  All the while, Chad was feeling nauseated as he watched Anthony do his throw up pyrotechnics right next to him.  Then, the rain started to pour, Cate and Brynn started slapping each other, a fly flew up Chad's nose, Brady had to go the bathroom (I made him pee in a Ziploc because we couldn't stop--once again, bless you Ziplocs) and we were driving on skinny lanes with a boat on I-15.  It was a sight to behold.  As we were in our own little nightmare, we spotted a beautiful rainbow.  I dropped the vomit bag for a minute and took a pic (below).  We drove home like mad people and we arrived home around 9:30 p.m.  Chad ran in the door and began to eject everything he had eaten that day.  Then............the power went out.  NO JOKE!  I couldn't believe it so I started laughing.  I don't think Chad thought it was very funny.  :)


After all of that, we are still glad we went and we had a great time.  When you look at our pictures, you would never guess that we were sick.  Bless the Jepperson's for putting up with our hospital.  Unfortunately, their family is sick now.............SO SORRY JEPPERSON'S!  We hope it was worth it!  :)

When I posted the pictures below, it put them in a weird order.  Sorry!
Cate Knee Boarded for the first time--GO C.C.!

Chad wake surfed for the first time.
Cliff jumping was definitely one of the highlights.  I was the wimpiest of them all.  I couldn't believe how high our little boys were jumping--YIKES!




Chad was a trooper this trip.  He drove the boat all day long so we could have fun without a lot of thanks or recognition!  Thanks honey!  You are still my favorite travel partner and the best man I know.  LOVE YOU!






The Grand Canyon.  And yes, I had a death grip on my kiddies.
It makes my tummy tingle to look at this picture.




My attempt at Ansel Adams.











We want to come back and take the Brady Bunch mule ride down the Grand Canyon.  We couldn't do it this trip because they wouldn't let Brynn or Cate ride on one.

Beefalo........yes, you read this correctly......these are beefalo.  They are a mixture between cattle and buffalo. 

The drive to the Grand Canyon was breathtaking.

 We saw a sign that said World's Largest Animal Sanctuary and because we missed church that day (and because it said "sanctuary"), we decided to go.  :)
We stopped by the famous Rock Stop and the kids got to pick out a rock.


This was our attempt at disciplining our girls when they were slapping each other.  Anthony was in the car using the Ziploc.  Again, bless you Ziplocs.

Kaden Jepperson

Brynn tried water skiing
Unfortunately, she pulled a John Candy and forgot to let go of the rope.
Kyler Jepperson learned to water ski.


Anthony learned to water ski.


We bought a water trampoline.  Unfortunately after the storm, it blew far far away to Oz.  Luckily we found it.
The tube is always a big hit.

Kent and Kim



Kent and Kenyon Jepperson
Kaden Jepperson
Kyler and Kim
Kolby and Brynn




Cate's favorite past time.

We sang this song to Kent, "Matchmaker, Matchmaker make me a match."
Kenyon, Kaden, Kyler, Kolby
We tried surfing--it was a riot!

I have decided that I like wake surfing more than anything.  Your feet are not strapped into anything and you are right by the boat so you can talk to everybody.  Loved it!!!!






Swimming to the rock--our favorite thing to do.

Kim popped right up on her first try--nice job!!
That's my man!
Kenyon surfed for the first time.

3 comments:

  1. hi-larious post, glad you had fun... sorry about the puke... can't wait to see you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just saw this post and we are LOVING it!!! Oh my gosh. What a great trip. It was TOTALLY worth it. We had so much fun. Thank you so much for inviting us. You guys were too good to us. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh - and I forgot to say that during the hours of our sickness, all we could do was marvel at the thought of you and Brady surfing and skiing on the day of your illness. We will never be able to figure out how you did that!

    Oh - and I also forgot to say that your Ansel Adams picture is Ah-MAZE-ING!!!! You should frame it!

    ReplyDelete