"Luck is believing you're lucky."

"Luck is believing you're lucky."

Friday, April 29, 2011

Beauty and the Beehive

I just returned home from an evening with my YW and YW leaders.  I am sitting here stunned as I type because I can't believe we all did what we just did.  :)  A few YW and YW leaders wrote a play called Beauty and the Beehive.  The YW then directed, acted, made scenery, did costumes, learned how to do stage make-up and hair, sang and basically did a play (The YW leaders helped of course :).  After tonight I realize that miracles still happen today.  When I talked to my cousin, Carrie, who just directed her Stake Play, I asked her when she felt like the play was ready to go and good.  She said the first time the curtain opened, she didn't know if it would work.  I felt that tonight.  But, Carrie also told me that the parents would feel like the parents on The Music Man.  They would be happy just because their child did it.  She was right......

Well, there were a lot of happy parents tonight--not just because their daughters did it, but because they did it well!  I know that if even one activity can touch ONE girl, it is worth it!  Before we went on stage, I asked the YW (and leaders) to raise their hands if they were scared--they all did.  I then told them that I was glad that we were all scared because when you are scared and you do it anyway, that is true courage and that is how you grow.  I read them a few quotes that I found on courage:

"You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face.  Do the thing you think you cannot do."  Eleanor Roosevelt

"If we're growing, we're always going to be out of our comfort zone."  John Maxwell

"If you wait to do everything until you're sure it's right, you'll probably never do much of anything."  Lin Borden

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

I watched as these courageous YW moved scenery, played instruments, acted and sang in front of a huge audience!  I watched as YW came together to create something bigger than themselves.  I witnessed the love our Heavenly Father has for each of his children.  He knows us and He is aware of our every need.  I know that because I just witnessed a miracle tonight.  Truly...........a miracle.  Here are a few pics from the night.

Make-up guru.
The hair salon in the Relief Society Room.
The back of our Stage Crew shirts.
The back of our play shirts.
Here is the front of the Stage Crew shirt and our play shirt.
The sound crew.
Wasn't she brave to do this?  She had NEVER done anything like this before.
My AWESOME leaders!  Chrissie Holmes (left) my darling 1st counselor, Liz Eaton (middle) MiaMaid Adviser, and Andrea Barry (right) my secretary.  I call Andrea my "rock" because she gives me the courage to do many of the things we have done.  When most people say, "We can't do that," Andrea says, "YES WE CAN!"  :)
Everyone in the ward helped out.  This dad (Rick Coley) made a whole stage addition for us for our narrators to sit on.  It was perfect!
Other amazing leaders: Chris Olson and Beth Leichty putting programs together.
Shanda (Beauty or Belle in the play) and Eliza.
Allison, Eliza and Megan (The Beehive in the Play)
Andrea and I thought we looked really professional with our Bluetooth devices in our ears during the play.  She was backstage and I was in front of the curtain so we could make sure it was running smoothly.  I wish I had a recording of our conversation during the play--pretty funny!
The YW Church Scene
Jane's family scene.
Belle's family scene.
We had a sweet, vintage spotlight. :)
This little group was SO funny!  Emily, Mackenzie and Shaylee.
Before the magic happened.
After the play with the 4 Cantrell girls--and yes, they are all in YW's.
After the play, we gave each YW a rose with a note that had a quote from the play.  It said, "I am a rose, beautiful and delicate, always blooming to be myself and growing in strength.  I know that through Jesus Christ, we can be strong and have the strength to be true to ourselves and know that we are enough." (Quote from Beauty and the Beehive).        

If you are interested in watching the play, I can email you the link to it and you can download it.  Just let me know!  :)

OKAY..........I AM GOING TO BED!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS MICHELE! Nothing you're a part of doesn't soar! I'm so happy it was a success. Please please send me the link--we would LOVE to watch it. I love your thoughts on courage. I am daily out of my comfort zone--I'm going to put that one on my wall! Your girls will never forget you or EVER be the same. I would love to be one of those young women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to watch this play. It is truly amazing how you are able to pull off everything you have done with so many young women.

    ReplyDelete