Today I pay tribute and give thanks to the many ancestors who have paved the way before me. Below is a picture of one of my ancestors: Eliza Cusworth Burton Staker. Eliza is an example of strength and courage. She was a member of the Martin Handcart Company and she traveled as a single mother with her children. She crossed the Sweetwater River many times taking each of her children across-she was very independant. I can't imagine being a single mother........period........but I can't imagine being a single mother pulling your own handcart across the plains. She and her children were numbered among the survivors of the Martin Handcart Company and her amazing story is told at Martin's Cove in Wyoming. When I think of her, I feel like I can do anything. Thank you, Eliza, for your great example of love and courage! I am thankful for ALL of my ancestors and for their lives and legacies. I can't wait to meet each of you..........actually, I would rather wait a little while longer. :)

I've been loving reading your posts every day. I think Eliza was a wonder woman! I'm still waiting for the cousin in-law post though. :)
ReplyDelete